Obstetrics is the branch of medicine that deals specifically with pregnancy and childbirth. Obstetricians also tend to be gynaecologists who specialize in the health of the female reproductive system.
In Singapore, pregnancy and family planning services are highly recommended to ensure a higher chance of a healthy pregnancy and a smoother road to parenthood.
Pregnancy preparation typically involves:
- Assessing both partner’s medical and family history and checking for genetic conditions that may be passed on to the baby
- Identifying existing gynaecological conditions in the woman that can impede conception and attainment of a full-term pregnancy (e.g. endometriosis, fibroids)
- Assessing pregnancy history (e.g. previous miscarriages or abortions)
- Evaluating the diet, lifestyle, medications, and even home and work environment of the couple
- In some cases, the woman’s structure and function of her reproductive organs may also be evaluated, through a physical exam and laboratory tests. A pelvic exam, pelvic ultrasound scan and pap smear should be conducted.
- Screening for infective conditions such as HIV, syphilis, rubella and others
- Checking vaccination records. In some cases, the doctor may ask to delay conception until certain vaccines have been received.
A Singapore obstetrician typically prescribes suitable patients with folic acid supplements, which help reduce the risk of birth defects.
Once pregnant, your obstetrician will then arrange regular screenings and scans with you to track the development of your little one.
Should you require more information on obstetrics services in Singapore, feel free to contact Singapore Obstetrician Dr Regina of GynaeMD Clementi 6873-3383 today.